Fudgy gluten free brownies are draped in a festive icing spiked with mint liqueur for a decadent and delicious dessert.
[Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I believe in and all thoughts and opinions are my own.]
Jump to Recipe
Mint Chocolate Brownie Bites
I love elevating simple desserts into something extra fancy, and brownies have always been one of my favorite childhood desserts. For this recipe, I’ve taken classic dark chocolate brownies, packed them full with mint chips, and then draped them in a glaze of white chocolate icing spiked with green crème de menthe. The mint liqueur colors the glaze it’s pretty green shade, and a decorative spray of edible gold and silver shimmer provides an elegant finishing touch to the little brownie bites.
The brownies themselves are incredibly simple to make, and the glaze isn’t any more complicated than icing some cupcakes. Whip up a batch for your next winter gathering and impress your guests with these decadent mint chocolate brownie bites!
Boozy Mint Liqueur Icing
Used in classic green cocktails like the Grasshopper, crème de menthe is a sweet liqueur infused with peppermint. Homemade crème de menthe takes on its green color from the mint leaves, but commercially made versions can be purchased in clear and green varieties.
For this particular recipe, I used DeKuyper’s crème de menthe green liqueur. The shade of emerald perfectly dyes the white chocolate icing, making it a lovely light green hue. The icing itself mimics the appearance of fondant, but is quicker to make and far more delicious. Dip you brownie bites into the warm icing to coat, or drizzle it on top. It will thicken into a solid coat and will chill or freeze easily once dry.
To add the shimmer to each brownie bite, I sprayed them with an edible glitter spray in gold and silver. Its definitely not necessary, but honestly it made the whole thing feel like a fun craft project. Totally worth it in my opinion.
Mint Chocolate Brownie Bites
Make & Bake the Brownie Bites
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease 9 x 9 inch glass baking dish with butter. Line it with parchment paper so that is overlaps the sides, and then grease the parchment paper as well.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium low heat. Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth, then stir in the dark chocolate chips and sugar. Remove from heat, and whisk in the salt, vanilla, and eggs. Let the batter cool slightly, and then stir in the mint chips (if using).
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. When a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, remove the brownies from the oven and let cool. Lift the whole square out of the dish and chill in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. Flip the block of brownies over, so that the flaky top is now the bottom, and slice the brownies into 16 even squares. Chill the squares for another 20-30 minutes as you prepare the icing.
Make & Pour the Crème de Menthe Icing
- In the upper bowl of a double boiler over medium low heat, combine the water, sugar, and corn syrup, whisking until smooth. Add the white chocolate wafers and stir continuously until smooth, and then slowly add in the crème de menthe slowly to achieve the right mint green color.
- Remove the upper bowl from heat, and apply the icing to the chilled brownie bites one by one. You can either dip the tops of the brownie squares into the icing, or drizzle the icing over top of them with a spoon. Let the icing cool, and then spray the tops with the glitter spray or sprinkle with edible glitter.
Like what you see? Please consider contributing to Feast In Thyme on Patreon, a crowd-funding platform designed to show your support to independent artists, writers, podcasters, and more. Even the smallest donations are more than appreciated, and all monies raised goes toward supporting this website, expanding our skill sets, and – most of all – continuing to build a wonderful community around a love of every day entertaining and delicious recipes.