With parmesan, gruyere, and cream cheese, these Three Cheese Spinach & Artichoke Pastry Swirls are an easy bite-size appetizer perfect for any occasion. Watch out – these savory treats are sure to disappear fast!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Do you have a food that if you see it on a menu, you have to order it? A favorite dessert, appetizer, or main meal?
I know I have a few, but none more than spinach and artichoke dip. It’s hard to resist. It’s got everything that makes a snack food delicious – gooey cheese, salty chips or crispy bread for dipping, and the sneaky inclusion of veggies so you don’t feel so bad about eating the whole dish. I’d even venture to say I’m a bit of a spinach and artichoke connoisseur at this point.
These Spinach & Artichoke Pastry Swirls capture everything I love about this classic appetizer in an easy-to-eat bite-size package. They can even be made ahead and frozen for when you need them! In my opinion, the Spinach & Artichoke Pastry Swirls are the perfect addition to any potluck, gameday, or holiday party.
Spinach & Artichoke Pastry Swirls
I’ve been pondering my own take on spinach and artichoke dip for a while. I personally like to avoid hot dips when I throw a larger party, and prefer finger foods that don’t require utensils. Hot dips are delicious, but they can be messy and hard to keep at the right temperature. I’d rather serve appetizers that are easy to pick up and eat as you mingle; a bite-size snack in one hand, a drink in the other.
With my well-known love of tiny foods in mind, I knew bite-size Spinach & Artichoke Pastry Swirls would be a huge hit. Each miniaturized portion is full of buttery pastry and creamy cheese, making it a super simple but totally crave-worthy addition to your menu. Delicate and delicious, Spinach & Artichoke Pastry Swirls are well-suited for both a cocktail party or a game day get-together. You can dress them up by serving them on a fancy platter, or just pile them high on a buffet spread.
Oh, and did I mention Spinach & Artichoke Pastry Swirls are vegetarian, free of onion and garlic, and can be made ahead and frozen for when you need them? Trust me. You’ll want to keep a batch of these in the freezer as a treat for any surprise guest that shows up at your door!
Spinach & Artichoke Pastry Swirls
- 1 box (17 ounce) puff pastry sheets, room temperature
- 8 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
- 5 ounce fresh spinach, chopped into threads
- 1 cup marinated artichokes, drained and chopped small
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated thick
- 1/3 cup gruyere, grated thick
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water (for the egg wash)
- Flour, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix the cream cheese, spinach, artichoke, and both types of cheese together in a bowl until well-combined. It might take some muscle – honestly, I find using my hands is the easiest way to do it, even if it is a little messy.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry sheets out to 1/8th inch thick with a rolling pin. Cut the sheets into strips, 1 ¼ inch by 5 inch.
- Spread a tablespoon of cheese filling along the center of each strip. To make the pastry swirl, tightly roll the pastry along it’s length. Repeat until you run out of filling or pastry. Set the rolled-up pastries into the cups of a nonstick mini muffin tin, swirl side up. Brush the tops of the pastries with the egg wash.
- Bake pastries for 15-20 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. If you are planning to serve them immediately, gently remove from the muffin tins and plate while still hot. To freeze and store for future use, see instructions below.