You’ll be the star of movie night with these simple Salted Caramel Popcorn Bars full of gooey marshmallow & sweet chunks of chocolate.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
The Academy Awards are upon us. The glitz. The glamour. The red carpet and fabulous outfits.
Or in my case, the staying up way too late on a Sunday watching to see if there will be any major political statements or embarrassing goofs made by the titans of the movie industry.
No matter you reason for watching, you’re going to need some sugary snacks to keep you going. Why not try a twist on a classic movie night favorite with these Salted Caramel Popcorn Bars with Marshmallow and Chocolate? Easy to make, easy to eat, and sure to satisfy your sweet and salty cravings!
Jump to Recipe
Salted Caramel Popcorn Bars
Marshmallow rice crispy treats have always been my go-to dessert when I need something simple and delicious. They’re naturally gluten-free, and easy to pack and transport for a potluck or camping trip.
Inspired by this childhood classic, the recipe for these Salted Caramel Popcorn Bars replaces the traditional crisped rice with airy popcorn. The classic flavors of salted caramel and semi-sweet chocolate are added to make this an indulgent treat that is easy to make and simple to serve at your next movie night.
If you want to add a little extra pizzazz to your popcorn bars, add a pinch of edible gold star glitter. You’ll be sure to take center stage!
Planning a Movie Night or Oscar Night Viewing Party?
I’ve pulled together a big list of 25 Twists on Classic Snacks for a Stellar Movie Night Menu. Check out a sample of these delicious, star-studded snacks & drinks to round out your entertaining menu:
- Slightly SkinnyPop Party Clusters
- Mini Prosciutto, Olive, & Fennel Pizza Bites with Drizzled Honey
- Sparkling Pear Martini
- Ginger Jungle Bird Sparkling Cocktail
Salted Caramel Popcorn Bars with Marshmallow & Chocolate
- ¼ cup salted butter, (plus more for greasing the dish)
- 4 cups (10 oz) mini marshmallows
- ½ cup salted caramel sauce, divided (See recipe below)
- 6 cups freshly popped popcorn, un-popped kernels removed and discarded
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Edible gold star glitter (optional)
- Grease an 8x8 inch glass baking dish with butter, and cut a strip of parchment paper so that it can lay flat across the bottom and overlaps two of the sides (these "handles" will allow you to lift the finished bars easily from the baking dish once cooled).
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the mini marshmallows, and just before the marshmallows completely lose their shape, add ¼ cup of the salted caramel sauce and stir until completely smooth. Remove the pan from heat, and mix in the popcorn. You’ll need to use some muscle and it may seem like you have too much popcorn, but just keep tossing it all together until well-combined. Add in the chocolate chunks, and stir until they are well-distributed. Don't worry if the chocolate melts a little bit - they will still be delicious!
- Pour the popcorn and marshmallow mixture into the prepared baking dish. With wet hands (or through a piece of parchment paper), press the hot mixture together so that is fills the pan and is well-compacted. Allow to cool.
- Once cool, lift the contents of the pan out of the baking dish and place on a cutting board. Drizzle with the remaining salted caramel sauce and cut into 2x2 inch squares. If desired, sprinkle each some edible gold star glitter for a bit of Old Hollywood glamour.
- The Salted Caramel Popcorn Bars taste best the same day, while the popcorn is still fresh and crunchy. They can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days, but the popcorn will lose it’s crunch over time.
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 4 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Candy Thermometer
- In a medium sauce pan, whisk together ½ cup heavy cream, brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt. Whisking occasionally, bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until it reaches 250°F according to the candy thermometer (about 5-10 minutes).
- Whisk in the remaining ½ cup heavy cream and the vanilla extract. Bring the mixture back to a low boil and whisk vigorously for about a minute. Remove the mixture from heat, transfer to a heat-safe bottle or jar, and store in the fridge until use.
2 thoughts on “Salted Caramel Popcorn Bars with Marshmallow & Chocolate”
Yum, I am just loving these popcorn bars. The flavors are delicious.
Thanks. Without spoiling anything are there any really large ones?