Welcome to Thymeline – The Spooky-Pumpkin-Halloween Edition!
[Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I believe in and all thoughts and opinions are my own.]
Our world is a pretty terrifying place – especially right now. The current American political climate is not something we can (or should) ignore or make light of in our every day lives. That being said, we also need to continue to find joy in the little things around us – and right now my biggest joy is that it’s finally Halloween Season. That’s right – time for decorative gourds, creepy foods, and more pumpkin spice than you can shake a stick at. Without the normal anticipation of costume parties, the month might look a little different to you. That doesn’t mean we can’t still have a spooktacular time celebrating it.
News & Inspiration:
- I, for one, am a huge fan of both savory pumpkin AND the combo of spices that make up what we call “pumpkin spice” in America. The history of how a traditional combination of “sweet spices” become the “pumpkin spice” trend of today is pretty fascinating. Food nerds will love this article: The Rise of Pumpkin Spice
- Speaking of which, where DID the pumpkin spice latte come from?
- Pumpkin, Squash, or Decorative Gourd? Learn the difference (and what you can eat)!
- Host your own pumpkin beer tasting with this great list of 23 pumpkin beer favorites.
- I can’t believe its almost impossible to find a box of Count Chocula already. I wait all year for my favorite cereal (nothing else comes close), so I decided to stock up when I finally found boxes online for a reasonable price.
- A friend shared this Retro & Vintage Halloween playlist on Spotify and its giving me life this season. Eartha Kitt’s I Want To Be Evil is especially divine.
- Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, I have a feeling many of us will need one of these boozy advent calendars this December.
- An eerily translucent La Llorona Cocktail.
- Absolutely gorgeous, shining red candy apples.
- Pumpkin gruyere soup (served in a pumpkin!) looks so comforting.
- How cute are pepperoni pizza pumpkins??
- I’m drooling over baked buffalo chicken eggrolls.
- Including their absolutely delicious Jacked O Lantern blend, Bones Coffee has FOUR total fall special blends! I’m eagerly awaiting my package of Frankenbones and all of its hazelnut chocolatey goodness.
Books On My Coffee Table:
- Epic Air Fryer Cookbook: 100 Inspired Recipes That Take Air-Frying in Deliciously Exciting New Directions by Emily Paster (2019)
- Ama: A Modern Tex-Mex Kitchen by Josef Centeno (2019)
- Dead Blondes and Bad Mothers: Monstrosity, Patriarchy, and the Fear of Female Power by Sady Doyle (2019)
- The Vow (HBO) – a nine-part American true crime documentary series revolving around the cult NXIVM and its leader Keith Raniere. The insight into human behavior is as astonishing as it is heartbreaking.
- My favorite horror series all month long, including: The entire Conjuring series (+ Annabelle spinoffs); Nightmare on Elm Street; Insidious series; Alien series (yes, all of them); and many more I can’t think of at the moment.
- And if you need some new horror, I utterly adored the this year’s Invisible Man as well as Crawl, both of which are tops on my movie list now. And to the latter, yes – the dog lives!
Stick around for more October-inspired posts this month, and take care of yourself out there.
Like what you see? Please consider contributing to Feast In Thyme on Patreon, a crowd-funding platform designed to show your support to independent artists, writers, podcasters, and more. Even the smallest donations are more than appreciated, and all monies raised goes toward supporting this website, expanding our skill sets, and – most of all – continuing to build a wonderful community around a love of every day entertaining and delicious recipes.