Welcome to Thymeline, a new semi-weekly series where I post updates on my life and goings-on and a list of my favorite links from around the web. I always run into things I’d like to share, so I figure this is the best way to do it!
Like much of the country, yesterday we celebrated Super Bowl Sunday! It was our very first tiny get-together in the new apartment, and my husband and I have been looking forward to it for months. We briefly debated cancelling after my knee injury, but we decided to go through with it. We knew the small handful of people we were having would understand if things weren’t up to my usual standards given the circumstances. With a couple of my tireless friends acting as sous-chefs and contributing extra food, we managed to provide a pretty incredible spread. From our kitchen, we had a whole mess of my Hawaiian Beef Sliders, this Slow Cooker Spinach and Artichoke Dip, a gigantic baked brie stuffed with my homemade chunky fig jam, and my attempt at these Dark and Dreamy Double Fudge Cupcakes (mine were not nearly as pretty, proving my icing skills need serious practice). For drinks, I pulled together a big pitcher of large batch Whiskey Sours (a recipe I hope to have up on the blog soon) and everything needed for Spiced Rum & Cokes.
My friends brought Buffalo chicken wrapped up in pizza dough, caprese salad, wolfberry chocolate-chip cookies, and pepperoni balls. Honestly, we had way too much food for just the seven of us, but that’s pretty normal for our crew. While only about half the group were actual sports fans, we had a good time hanging out and watching the game (even if the the end result wasn’t exactly what we were routing for). And seriously, can you believe Lady Gaga’s half-time show? Utterly blown away!
Now, my favorite things from around the web this past week:
- Sally at Sally’s Baking Addiction started a monthly baking challenge! The first recipe is chocolate lava cake.
- The Food In Jars Mastery Challenge continues this month with Salt Preserving. I’m hoping I can preserve some meyer lemons or limes in salt this month, assuming I can get a hold of what I need to make it happen.
- Slab Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for a crowd sound right up my alley.
- Food videos usually aren’t my thing (I’ve always been more of a reader than a watcher when it comes to recipes), but I was immediately drawn into this one for Black Pepper Stir-Fried Noodles by Pinch of Yum. Can’t wait to try this recipe.
- After having it recommended to me by a friend, I’ve become obsessed with the My Favorite Murder podcast. I binge-listened to all 50+ episodes over the past couple weeks as I’ve been recuperating. Check it out if you like true crime stuff, and give me a shout out if you are a fellow Murderino!
- Knitting is one of those crafts I’ve never been able to get into, but I might have to try it again so I can make myself a bunch of these beautiful DIY finger-knit rope trivets on Flax & Twine.
- I am loving this Snow Leopard Trust t-shirt and this geeky-crossover hoodie – the first goes to a great conservation non-profit, the second is just adorable!
That’s all for now – Cheers!