No Mother’s Day Brunch is complete without the perfect cocktail, and this refreshing Strawberry Daiquiri Bellini will hit the spot!
For as long as I can remember, my mom has talked about how much she loves strawberry daiquiris. For the life of me though, I can’t seem to recall ever seeing her drink one! As a big fan of rum and strawberries myself, I knew exactly what recipe to pull together for an ideal Mother’s Day Brunch – a Strawberry Daiquiri Bellini.
To me, a fantastic brunch isn’t complete without a Bellini. There is something truly special about that mixture of fruit juice and Prosecco that I just can’t get enough of. For the Prosecco, use your favorite version of the sparkling white wine – I prefer one that is sweeter, but if you (and your mom!) like a dry version, go with that.
While true strawberry season is not quite upon us yet on the East Coast, stores are already starting to carry them. I recommend using fresh strawberries, but feel free to substitute frozen if you can’t find ones you like just yet.
Most importantly though, make sure all the ingredients for the Strawberry Daiquiri Bellini are allowed to chill for at least an hour. Trust me on this. I tried this recipe first without letting the strawberry puree chill, and I’ll be honest – I almost scrapped the recipe. When I tried it again with a little ice thrown in the glass, and then later chilled through – delicious!
Need a few more Mother’s Day Brunch ideas? Hunger|Thirst|Play has pulled together this lovely recipe round-up for foodie-moms (including my Blueberry Glazed Muffins!), and don’t forget the South Asian Spiced Shakshuka I posted earlier this week. On the brunch cocktail front, you can never go wrong with a classic Side Car or French 75 on your menu. They are always sure to please.
To all you moms out there – and especially my own! – I hope you have a beautiful and relaxing Mother’s Day Weekend ahead of you, filled with your favorite cocktails, desserts, or whatever else you fancy.
Strawberry Daiquiri Bellini
- 1.5 oz aged dark rum
- 1 oz lime juice
- 2 oz sweetened strawberry puree
- 1-2 oz Prosecco or other sparkling white wine
- Additional rich simple syrup, to taste
- Small strawberries, to garnish
- Ice cubes
Sweetened Strawberry Puree (Makes around 2 cups)
- 2 cups (16 oz) fresh strawberries
- 1/2-1/3 cup rich simple syrup, (see note below)
- First, make the strawberry puree: Reserving a few of the smallest, prettiest ones for garnishes, hull the strawberries (ie, remove the green leafy part) and half or quarter them, depending on their size. Add the chopped strawberries to a blender and puree until smooth. Slowly add the rich simple syrup and blend to combine. As overall sweetness can vary depending on the season and your particular strawberries, start with a half cup simple syrup, and increase to a third cup to taste. Chill for at least an hour (or overnight) for best results.
- To make the cocktail: Add the rum, lime juice, and strawberry puree to a cocktail shaker with some ice. Shake until the outside is frosty. Pour the mixture into a fluted glass, top with Prosecco, and add a strawberry to garnish. Add additional simple syrup to taste, if needed. Repeat until everyone has a glass!