Baked or fried, delicious bite-sized pepperoni pizza rolls are an easy snack to make at home for any party occasion!
Jump to Recipe
Homemade Pepperoni Pizza Rolls
Get your gameday, movie night, or slumber party started off right with a big batch of homemade pizza rolls!
Stuffed with fresh mozzarella, diced pepperoni, and a bit of tomato sauce, these tiny savory morsels are a delicious copycat of their frozen counterpart. Fry them in a bit of oil for a more traditional taste and crunchy texture, or bake them up in the oven for a lightened up take on this popular snack. Best of all, you can make homemade pizza rolls ahead of time and freeze them for whenever you need them. That’s a serious win for kids of all ages – even the young at heart.
Prepping the Workstation
With only five primary ingredients, making your own pizza rolls couldn’t be easier. After you prep the ingredients – dicing the mozzarella and pepperoni into tiny pieces – set up your work station. I like to set mine up on a cutting board for easy clean-up after.
From left to right, arrange bowls of the tomato sauce, pepperoni, mozzarella, salt, and a bit of water in that order. Place a small pile of wonton wrappers on the cutting board, pulling one aside to start with.
All Wrapped Up
Wrapping up the pizza rolls into little packets is easy. The wonton wrappers are folded up and over the filling like little envelopes.
First, dampen the edges of the wrapper with a bit of water – this will help create a seal. Orient the wrapper so that the bottom corner is pointed towards you.
It doesn’t take much to fill up the wrappers – just a scant quarter teaspoon of sauce, a few pieces each of the pepperoni and cheese, and a tiny pinch of salt. It shouldn’t take up more than the size of a quarter.
Now wrap them up: First, fold the bottom corner nearest you up and over the filling.
Then, fold each of the side corners in towards the center, over the bottom flap. The wrapper should now look like a tiny open envelope.
To finish, take the edge closest to you and roll the entire packet forward. The dampened edges will help keep the pizza rolls together, but be sure to rest them on their seams while waiting to be fried or baked.
Homemade Pepperoni Pizza Rolls [Copycat Recipe]
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup thin sliced pepperoni, diced
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- 1 cup water, room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable oil (if frying)
- Prepare a workstation, lining up the ingredients: tomato sauce, pepperoni, mozzarella, salt, then water. Place the wonton wrappers in front of you, and pull one aside to start, orienting it so that the point of the square is towards you, like a diamond.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, if baking.
Fill and Fold the Pizza Rolls:
- Spoon about a quarter teaspoon of sauce in the center of the wrapper. Top with a few pieces of diced pepperoni and mozzarella, and a pinch of salt. The filling should take up about the same amount of space as a quarter.
- Using your finger, dampen the edges of the wrapper with a bit of water – this will help create a seal. Fold the wrapper up and over the filling like an envelope:
1) Fold the bottom corner nearest you up and over the filling;
2) Fold each of the side corner in towards the center, over the bottom flap. The wrapper should now look like an open envelope;
3) Taking the edge closest to you, roll the entire packet forward. Set the pizza rolls seam-side down on a platter. Repeat until you run out of ingredients.
To Bake the Pizza Rolls:
- Arrange the pizza rolls on two baking sheets lined with parchment. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10-15 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
To Fry the Pizza Rolls:
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add the pizza rolls to the oil in batches, frying them 3-5 minutes on each side, until the wrappers are golden and slightly bubble. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Continue until all are cooked through.
- Serve as soon as the pizza rolls are cool enough to handle.
To Store for Later:
- Allow the pizza rolls to come to room temperature, and then arrange them on a fresh baking sheet. Place the sheet into the freezer for 2-4 hours, until the rolls are completely frozen. Transfer to a freezer safe bag and store for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, reheat in the oven as described above.
Like what you see? Please consider contributing to Feast In Thyme on Patreon, a crowd-funding platform designed to show your support to independent artists, writers, podcasters, and more. Even the smallest donations are more than appreciated, and all monies raised goes toward supporting this website, expanding our skill sets, and – most of all – continuing to build a wonderful community around a love of every day entertaining and delicious recipes.