Filled with juicy berries and covered with a sweet crumbly topping, these Blueberry Glaze Muffins with Streusel & Lemon Zest are light and fluffy, popping with delightfully bright flavors.
I made these Blueberry Glaze Muffins with Streusel & Lemon Zest on a whim. The blueberries were dying in the fridge, leftover from another recipe. I was home alone while Sam was out at fencing practice with little to do. And after weeks of not being able to stand in my own kitchen and cook due to my knee injury, I was finally able to tinker for short periods of time. I had to make these muffins.
Digging up notes from a Blueberry Swirl Muffin recipe from Honestly Yum I’d tried sometime last year, I pulled together an incredibly delicious batch of muffins. I added lemon juice and zest for brightness, nixed the yogurt that I just never have in my house, and added an essential baked good ingredient in my book – browned butter.
The final result is a perfectly light and fluffy cake filled with bursts of juicy berries and pops of lemon. The best part is probably the streusel, because let’s be honest – the closer a muffin is to a dessert the better, right?
If you aren’t sure what you will do with a whole batch of Blueberry Glaze Muffins to yourself, you’re in luck! Once they’re cool, set a bunch out on a tray and freeze them individually, and then toss them all in a freezer-safe bag for safe keeping. When you want one, just pull it out of the freezer, remove the wrapper, and heat them up in the oven (350°F for 10-15 minutes is more than enough). You’ll have fresh-tasting muffins whenever you want them.
Whip up these Blueberry Glaze Muffins as soon as you get the craving and let me know what you think!
Blueberry Glaze Muffins with Streusel & Lemon Zest
- 1 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp salted butter, melted
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt (heaping)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 Tbsp salted butter, browned
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk (I use 2%, but any should be fine)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare a muffin tin with liners and set aside.
- First, make the streusel crumble: Combine the two sugars, salt, and flour in a small bowl, and then slowly whisk the melted butt into the mixture with a form. Set aside.
- Then, make the blueberry glaze: combine 1 cup blueberries with 1 teaspoon granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Mash the blueberries with a potato masher (or the back of a spoon) and bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until combined and broken down, then remove from heat. Be careful not to overcook.
- Finally, the muffins: In your biggest bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar, and then the browned butter and oil. Mix in the milk. Fold the egg mixture into the dry ingredients, adding the remaining 1 cup blueberries and fresh lemon zest as you do so. Mix until just combined.
- Fill the each muffin cup about 2/3’s full with batter. Spoon 1 teaspoon of blueberry glaze on top of each, and swirl it around to cover the top of the batter with a toothpick (or fork). Sprinkle the streusel on top of each muffin. Bake for 20-25 minutes, remove from oven, and let cool.
6 thoughts on “Blueberry Glaze Muffins with Streusel & Lemon Zest”
These muffins look so good! I can just imagine what they taste like from the photos! I can’t wait to make these for my hubby (oh, and me). 🙂
Thank you Elaine! I am bit addicted myself. 🙂
Blueberry and lemon is one of my favorite flavor combinations. These looks so yummy!
These muffins look delicious. Love the streusel topping. Sounds like the perfect breakfast! 🙂