Preparing recipes for the Halloween holiday, a mini review of Harry’s Savoy Grill, and my current everyday obsessions in today’s edition of Thymeline.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. As always all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Not too much to report on this week. Fall is a huge season for food blogging – there are so many food-centric holidays coming up to prepare for! For the most part, I’ve been spending my time shopping for props and get a jumpstart on future posts. I love Halloween, so I’m hoping I can do it justice this year. It’s the first year I’ll be blogging seriously for all the holidays, so it’s a lot to think about.
Here’s a sneak peak of the Halloween-themed cheeseboard I photographed this weekend for the occasion:
A Local Restaurant Review: Harry’s Savoy Grill
Last week was also the Brandywine Valley Restaurant Week in our area of northern Delaware. With all the cooking I do at home, Sam and I don’t go out to eat very often. We took the opportunity to try out a nearby restaurant with another couple, making it into a nice double-date night. As we discovered, Harry’s Savoy Grill is a highly rated steakhouse that manages to pull off a classy old-school restaurant vibe without feeling stuffy or outdated.
While all four of us were excited to try the prix fixe menu of three courses, our server (Andy) blew us away with his knowledge of the full menu. Even before we tried the food, we knew we had to come back to order the steaks and house-made pastas he spoke so highly of. Between the four of us, we tried all the offerings on the miniature menu, and everything was enjoyable. I particularly liked the Grilled Sockeye Salmon, which was cooked perfectly, and the Apricot, Fig, and Eggplant Curry in the chef’s Moroccan chicken dish was beautifully balanced in flavor – hot, sweet, and comforting. The best part was the dessert though – a gigantic sphere of chocolate and peanut butter mousse! I don’t think I’ve had a restaurant dessert as good in a long time, and it was an incredible end to the meal. It was a great dinner, and we look forward to returning.
My Current Obsessions:
Currently Streaming: Classic thrillers – mostly with shark antagonists.
Currently Reading: Peppers of the Americas by Maricel E. Presilla
Currently Listening: White Wine True Crime podcast
Currently Eating: Tomato salads with arugula, mozzarella, and way too much balsamic vinegar, inspired by a recipe from Chrissy Teigen’s awesome cookbook, Cravings.
And now, the links!
- I’ve been a bit lax in my participation in the Food In Jars Mastery Challenge these last few months, but September is fruit butters! I’m seriously considering making either Maple-Sweetened Pumpkin Butter or Slow Cooker Sugar Plum Butter.
- I have so much admiration for these innovative women in the field of food and drink.
- Totally craving a bowl of Loaded Beefy Queso Dip.
- Orzo Pasta with Italian Sausage and Kale has really caught my eye as an excellent comfort food, and this Authentic Creole Jambalaya has me dreaming about New Orleans.
- Your brunch plans need these Apple Blackberry Muffins.
- And maybe this Chocolate Kahlua Bread Pudding for dessert.
- Or maybe we should go healthier, with Honey Oatmeal No Bake Energy Bites? Too many choices!
Now back to recipe testing – Cheers!