Trips to the beach, new bourbon drinks, delicious tequila cocktails, and more in today’s edition of Thymeline!
[Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I recommend products because I find them helpful or interesting. All thoughts and opinions are my own.]
What a week! Between some crazy rescheduling and some time-sensitive tasks, I may have run myself a bit ragged. Everything worked out, but hopefully this week is a bit calmer.
The most important thing I accomplished last week was pulling together some finishing touches for a long-time friend’s bridal shower. We went with an “Italian Picnic” theme, which (in addition to having sentimental significance) meant we could take advantage of the existing decor at the Italian restaurant venue. We used scattered bottles of white wild flowers, baskets, red and white checked clothes to decorate – one of the other bridesmaids even made lovely little picnic baskets of pizzelle cookies, olive oil, tiny sparkling wines, and other goodies for the centerpieces! It all went well and was truly lovely.
And speaking of nice days, I finally got to the beach! My Jersey City bestie and I soaked up the sun and shopped the boardwalk in Asbury Park, one of my favorite places (I snagged the pretty picture of her in front of the old Convention Center above). We even enjoyed a delicious lunch of seafood and salads at the recently re-branded Robinson Ale House located in the bottom floor of the the iconic Howard Johnson building. The top floor was the site of my wedding a few years ago, so I really love going back to that place. It couldn’t have been a better day.
I seriously need more beach trips in my life before summer is over.
On the food front, I went on a bit of a BLT kick last week for lunches. I use these amazing local tomatoes, crisp butter lettuce, cherrywood smoked bacon, just a touch of mayonnaise, and perfectly ripe avocado. It’s been pretty good. I’m also working on a few recipes I’m not quite ready to share just yet. One is a really delicious grain bowl full of salmon, citrus vinaigrette, roasted veggies, and farro. It needs a bit of work, but I’m excited about it.
And, after seeing versions pop up in my social media feeds and picking up some fantastic Fever Tree Ginger Beer, I had to try a bourbon twist on the classically gin-based cocktail, the Kentucky Mule. My verdict? As expected, everything’s better with bourbon.
Now, let’s get to the links:
- There are still a few hours left of National Tequila Day! I’m rather partial to these recipes for an Elderflower & Citrus Paloma and a Spicy Jalapeno Pineapple Margarita, if you’re in the mood the celebrate.
- Would you take the time to make your own Amaro? I love DIY, but I’m not sure on this one.
- Sweet and Spicy Grilled Chicken Drumsticks make for a nice barbecue alternative.
- Between my love of rum and nostalgia for my time living in the Florida panhandle, I’m craving this Flora-Bama Rum Punch.
- Tiramisu Popsicles full of mascarpone cheese and Godiva chocolate liqueur – I’m drooling, are you drooling?
- And while we’re picking up mascarpone, let’s go all in and make this recipe for Spot Prawns in Saffron-Tomato Sauce with Mascarpone and Nero Di Seppia for a date night as well.
- Loving this look behind-behind-the-scenes with Binging with Babish! That is one awesome NYC apartment.
- These Six Gloriously Easy Ways to Entertain Like a Parisian are life changing.
- I don’t need more things to collect, but these colorful cocktail enamel pins tempt me start up a new hobby.