In which I test the limits of my hashtag motto #nevertoomanycookbooks; a National Beer Day recipe preview; an article on awesome lady distillers; and a bunch of new links to check out.
This week is a little packed with posts! On Saturday, I put up a long-form review of Vivian Howard’s cookbook, Deep Run Roots, and later this week I’ll be sharing a two-part recipe in celebration of National Beer Day on Friday (April 7)!
Look forward to instructions on how to make these Cheddar Rosemary Biscuits and some Beer Braised Slow Cooker Pulled Pork for the occasion:
Right now, I’m figuring out how to juggle reviewing two cookbooks and still working on my own recipes over the next few weeks, while trying to stay within a reasonable meal budget. I often get carried away when I see new ideas and recipes, so it can be difficult figuring how to balance what I want to do with what is reasonable. It’s very much a learning process, not made easier by the fact that I still can’t drive myself anywhere. To cut down on time and trips, Sam and I make one trip to Whole Foods every 7-10 days, which is the only place I can reliably find beautiful meats and produce. Once I can drive again I’ll be able to meal plan a little better and take advantage of the markets that are apparently all around my new place, but until then it’s a little trickier to stay in budget. Let’s hope that’s over soon.
I’m feeling surrounded by cookbooks at the moment, and it’s awesome. My Facebook feed is full of posts from all the groups I’ve joined, each cooking from different books. It’s great being a part of something like that, but next month I might take a break from cookbook reviewing to re-center myself a bit. I want to make sure I work enough on my own recipes and projects, you know? I say that now, but we’ll see how I feel in a few weeks. There are just so many amazing recipes to try! The struggle is real.
Now, the links!
- Love this article on Tasting Table about the growing presence of women in the distilling industry! I should check out some of these labels.
- My go-to banana bread recipe with bourbon and chocolate chunks isn’t my own, but one by the amazing Joy Wilson (Joy the Baker) from her first cookbook. I just found the recipe online and had to share.
- I’m all about finding new spring pasta recipes! I especially love the look of the Pappardelle with Chicken Ragù, Fennel, and Peas.
- The Team at Camille Styles shared the WORST advice on Pinterest. Can’t say I disagree.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans, we need to be proper Scoobies and pick up a copy of last week’s Entertainment Weekly. Sadly, I haven’t been able to get ahold of one yet.
- Online ads are getting way to relevant. Look at this awesome tiki mug that popped up for me! Eventually I really need to get some good tiki stuff.
- Speaking of tropical drinks, How Well Do You Actually Know Daiquiri Recipes?
- Hard Monday? I hope these adorable cartoons help make it better.